Position: Head Coach
I am excited to be given the opportunity to be part of the North Hall Swimming Family. I bring many years of swimming experience to the North Hall program. As a swimmer, I represented my native country of New Zealand at the national and international level:
- New Zealand National Record Holder in the 50 Meter Backstroke in 1988.
- New Zealand National Record Holder in the 50 Meter Butterfly in 1988.
- Ranked 25th in the World in the 200 Backstroke in 1989.
- Placed 8th in the 2oo Meter Backstroke at the 1989 Pan Pacific Championships in Tokyo, Japan.
- Placed 8th in the 200 Meter Backstroke at the 1990 Commonwealth Games in Auckland, New Zealand.
In 1990, I moved to the United States to attend the University of Alabama. During my time in Tuscaloosa, I had the following opportunities:
- Earned a swimming scholarship to attend the University of Alabama
- Four Year Letterman in Swimming from 1990 to 1994
- Academic All Southeastern Conference from 1992 to 1994
- Ranked 2nd All Time in the 200 Backstroke at the University of Alabama in 1995
- Recipient of the Coaches Academic Award in 1994
After graduation from the University of Alabama I started my teaching career in LaGrange, Georgia. Since that time, I have coached several teams in the West Georgia region.
My philosophy as a coach is that hard, focused work will produce positive results. I believe the Hall County mission statement should represent our swimming program: Character, Competency, and Rigor...for All
- Character: Inspire others with your actions in and out of the water.
- Competency: Come together as a team to help your teammates become the best that they can be.
- Rigor: Work to excel at everything you do each day.
See you at the pool,
Position: Assistant Coach
Rafael is a Venezuelan Native and his reputation as a Student athlete began during his early childhood and college career at University of the Andes (ULA) – Venezuela where he received a Bachelor of Arts. Licentiate in Education, 2003. Rafael also Coached at the (E.B.F.D.T) Táchira’s Specialized Training Sports School. Rafael was a distance swimmer throughout most of his swimming life. After swimming, he continued to practice sports and nowadays triathlons became part of his new routine. Some of the accomplishments he performed as a swimmer are the following:
· Venezuelan Junior National Swimming Team, (3 times)
· 1988 Venezuelan National Championships ( infant A – infant B)
400 meters freestyle time: 4:35.56
200 meters freestyle Time: 2:13.74
100 meters Butterfly time: 1:10.83.
· 1989 Suramerican Trials 400 meters freestyle time: 4:32.28
200 meters freestyle time: 2:14.26
· 1989 Venezuelan Junior Nationals. 200 meters freestyle time: 2:10.10
100 meters Butterfly time: 1:06.20
· 1990 Venezuelan Junior Nationals. Venezuelan National Record Holder in the distance of 800 meters freestyle. Time: 8:37.34
100 meters Butterfly time: 1:04.64
1500 meters freestyle time: 17:23.54
· 1991 Venezuelan Nationals Level 1. 400 meters freestyle time: 4:27.11
200 meters Butterfly time: 2:31.92
· 1992 Venezuelan national championships open category. 800 meters freestyle time: 8:59.43 and 1500 meters freestyle time: 16:57.16
· 1993 - 1994 Georgia All Star.
· Two time Junior National Team Representing the “ABSC” (Athens Bulldog Swimming Club)
500 yards freestyle time: 4:49.04 Sr. Regions.
1000 yards freestyle time: 9:47.21 Sr. Regions.
1650 yards freestyle time: 16:47.21 Sr. Regions.
200 yards Butterfly time: 2:02.69 Sr. Regions.
200 meters freestyle time: 2:01.44 State Championships.
400 meters freestyle time: 4:12.53 Junior Nationals.
1500 meters freestyle time: 16:24.27 Junior Nationals.
200 meters Butterfly time: 2:10.94 Junior Nationals.
800 meters freestyle time: 8:33.52 Junior Nationals.
· 1993 Team Record holder 1500 meters freestyle Time: 16:24.27
· 1994 Team Record Holder 1000 Yards Freestyle Time: 9:34.88
· 1996 Lanier Aquatics North/South Meet. Representing Lanier Aquatics Swimming Team
500 yards freestyle time: 5:09.14
200 yards freestyle time: 2:00.26
200 yards IM time: 2:10.85
100 yards Butterfly time: 58:14
· Timed Trialed for the Venezuelan Olympic Team Atlanta 1996 in the distance of 1500 meters freestyle.